Many employees who spend six or more hours sitting at a desk through their workday suffer from health and comfort issues that can be directly related to their desk chair, especially if they are taller or bigger people. Fixed height chairs make sitting an awkward activity for anyone who isn’t lucky enough to fit into those exact manufacturing specifications, which can result in back, shoulder and neck pain.
How do ergonomic chairs work?
Ergonomic chairs are simply chairs that can be adjusted to fit almost anyone, and that provide support to your body in the sitting position. With such a simple solution to such a serious problem, there’s no reason why anyone should be working in discomfort.
Good ergonomic chairs allow the user to:
- Adjust seat heights
- Have a generous range limit for seat height
- Adjust the vertical and frontward/backward positioning of the back rest
- Sit comfortably in the correct seat depth
- Have a stable seating position – a five-point base is recommended
Health benefits of ergonomic desk chairs
In addition to helping prevent back, neck and shoulder pain, these chairs are recommended by physiotherapists and health practitioners because they:
- Provide proper support to your posture – Bad posture can be caused or worsened by a poor quality desk chair. Ergonomic chairs actively support your posture while sitting, helping to correct these issues. Best practice is to sit with your feet flat on the floor, with your knees parallel to your hips at a 90-degree angle to the floor.
- Increased comfort – This is a direct result of their adjustability, where each person can choose a position that best suits their comfort.
- Reduced pressure on hips – A softer, more cushioned and supportive base with the correct seat depth is beneficial to hip health, preventing excess pressure on the hips.
- Increased productivity – Ergonomic chairs are more dynamic and easily movable, making it easier for employees to reach, move, swivel and stretch at their desks. Increased comfort and wellness help drive productivity by making desks more enjoyable spaces to work at.
Want to find out more about ergonomic office furniture? BE Furniture is a full-service corporate office design and contemporary office furniture company, offering a wide range of environmentally-sensitive and innovative products and services in line with contemporary office interiors. For more information on our modern office chairs and contemporary executive seating solutions, please contact us today or visit our website at https://www.befurniture.com.