Did you know that energy represents around 19% of total expenditure for a typical office building? With a statistic like that, it’s no surprise that more and more businesses are looking to invest in solutions and modern office design ideas, while they may cost more upfront, that offer significant energy savings over the long-term – potentially cutting your energy bill by up to 50%. So, what are the most effective ways to achieve this? Here are some insights from our team of contemporary office furniture specialists.
- Get an energy audit: Before you start to fix a problem, you have to know what you’re dealing with. An energy audit – which many utility companies offer for free to commercial clients – will show you exactly where the money is going each month and how it changes through the seasons.
- Switch it off: A simple policy can save a huge amount of money. Printers, computers and other office equipment should be turned off each night. That goes for TVs and other electronic devices too.
- Bring in the sunlight: Natural lighting is better for productivity and for your energy bill. Architectural walls made of glass will ensure that light can travel further into your office space, and it’s also worth it to look at removing excessive artificial lighting. Another good idea is to replace bulbs with high-efficiency rated LED bulbs – you can save $1 per month per bulb while benefiting from a longer-lasting and more earth-friendly solution.
- Make your lighting more flexible: Many offices have lighting that is always on, whether there is someone in the space or not. Automatic dimming controllers and motion sensor lighting will make lighting more comfortable and more energy efficient – and with lighting accounting for 20% of the electricity used in commercial buildings, the savings will add up.
- Upgrade your HVAC and keep it serviced: HVAC equipment is responsible for the air quality and comfort levels in your building, and this essential system is responsible for a big proportion of your energy bill. Upgrading to a new, high-efficiency system will result in long-term savings and you may even qualify for state rebate programs. Keeping the system regularly serviced will ensure your running costs stay as low as possible, as blocked filters can increase energy usage by 25%.
Modern Office Design Ideas and Solutions for an Energy-Efficient Workplace
BE Furniture is a full-service contemporary office furniture company, offering a wide range of environmentally-sensitive and innovative products and services for innovative office interiors. In addition to design and fitment services, we also offer Earth-friendly recycling of old office interiors. For more modern office ideas and information on our contemporary office furniture, architectural walls and more, please contact us today or visit our website at https://www.befurniture.com/