As contemporary office furniture specialists`, we know that eco-friendly design has become a significant part of the modern workplace, from energy-efficiency and office furniture right to the very architecture and construction process of the buildings themselves. Recently, Bloomberg has revealed its new European Headquarters – known as The Edge – and is setting the standard for sustainable workplaces of the future.
Designed by renowned architect Norman Foster, the building offers a massive 1.1 million square feet of office space, including three public plazas, a transportation entrance to the Bank tube station, and a dining arcade featuring bars and restaurants.
What makes this building such a landmark for environmental sustainability?
Throughout the design and building process, low carbon, energy, water and resource intensity goals were kept at a priority level. Some features that demonstrate this conscientious approach include:
- Integrated lighting panels incorporating 500,000 energy-efficient LED bulbs.
- Natural ventilation systems through the striking movable bronze blades on the outside of the building to reduce air conditioner dependency.
- Rainwater capture and treatment systems on the rooftop that recycle water to serve the vacuum flush toilets in the building, saving 25 million liters of water a year.
- A smart airflow system that senses CO2 levels and circulates air automatically according to the number of people in each zone of the building, reducing emissions by 500-750 metric tons and saving 600-750MWhr of power each year.
- An on-site combined heat and power facility that reduced heat wastage for energy savings of 500-750 metric tons of CO2 each year.
These features and others have earned an Outstanding rating from BREEAM assessors (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) with a score of 98.5% – the highest design-stage score ever achieved by a large-scale office development project.
This vision didn’t stop with the building either, as Bloomberg’s employees are encouraged through a range of initiatives to adopt “active working” strategies that promote wellness and good health, including sit-stand work stations, on-site gyms and a wellness center.
Help your business create a sustainable future with contemporary office interiors
At BE Furniture, we’re committed to providing our clients with the latest in affordable contemporary office furniture and interior design. We offer a wide range of eco-friendly and ergonomic workplace solutions, and offer an earth-friendly recycling option for your old furniture.
For more information on our products and services or to find out more about the latest contemporary office furniture ideas, please contact us today and visit our website at https://www.befurniture.com/