Not only are green walls a beautiful and natural design element for your office, but they also help support wellness, stress relief, and productivity. Innovative companies around the world are using these in commercial interior design to bring the outdoors in and promote a healthier workspace for all. In this article, our team will discuss all the green, health, and design benefits of green walls and how you can incorporate this new trend into your current office design layout.
Why are Green Walls Trending?
Introducing living and natural elements into the workplace is called biophilic design, which includes things like maximizing natural lighting, purifying airflow, and introducing plant life through green walls and gardens. Think about how getting back into nature makes you feel refreshed, re-energized, and restored – well, that’s what designers are trying to introduce into the workplace to balance out the stress, hustle, and bustle of working life. However, there are several other benefits that you should be aware of:
- Employee demand – With 87% of workers wanting employers to provide a healthier workplace (according to the Well Building Standard), it makes sense to introduce biophilic elements like green walls as part of your strategy to attract and retain talent. It’s a striking visual effect that shows employees that wellness is a key value in your workplace.
- Improves wellness building metrics – LEED, the Well Building Standard, and other standards are popular for measuring the wellness of your office space. Getting this accreditation is essential for any business looking to capitalize on their sustainability stance, and green walls cover several important areas including water efficiency, innovation in design, energy, and atmosphere.
- Improves productivity – Green spaces are productive spaces, with plants directly impacting concentration, energy levels, and engagement. To make an impact, you need more than a simple orchid on a desk (although every bit of green helps), and that’s where plant walls can be a game-changer.
- Improves air quality – Plants are natural air filtration machines, taking in carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen, and filtering out pollutants and dust. Plant walls are very efficient at this and have the added benefits of controlling a comfortable level of humidity and adding a subtle scent to the air. This eases breathing, keeps skin comfortable, and prevents poor air quality that can trigger asthma, headaches, and sore throats.
- Saves money – A green wall is affordable to install and when cared for properly, can last a lifetime. By controlling humidity, cleaning the air, helping to keep the temperature at a consistent and comfortable level, and adjusting naturally to the seasons to maintain the office climate, offices can save on costs for air conditioning and air purification.
How to Incorporate Green Walls into Your Office Design
Green walls allow you to get quite creative with your office design! Some of the most striking and functional ways to incorporate this design include:
- Feature walls – Behind your reception desk, along the side of an informal meeting or break room space, or as a backdrop that catches the eye as you walk into an open plan space.
- Columns – Green walls can be attached to structural pillars and columns, spreading the walls across a space, and turning these functional elements into living art.
- External walls – Outdoor office walls can also be transformed with greenery, softly filtering light into interior rooms, enhancing an outdoor break space, or becoming a feature of your retail or office front entrance.
Go Green with BE Furniture
BE Furniture is a team of New Jersey-based office design specialists focused on making innovative designs come to life. With a sustainable and modern approach to office design, we work one-on-one with you to create a functional and exceptional space that reflects your values as a business. To find out more about our green office design services and products, call us today or visit our website at: https://www.befurniture.com/